<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Grams Funeral 

The visitation was Monday from 4pm-8pm but we got there at about 3:30pm. It took me about an hour to get from the front door to the casket. It was really strange seeing my Grandma like that. It was nice to see all the flowers that people had sent and took look all the photo collages the we all made plus the slideshow was put together by the funeral home. Being there for so long was really emotionally draining plus Adam and I also got tired of chasing Lily around. They did have a nice lounge area with kids toys and a tv where we could hang out with and have some snacks.
By the time we got to leave we all went to my parents house and we were starving. Lynn Spanbauer made this really yummy beef that was already nice and warm because it was in a crockpot. I quickly gobbled down 3 sandwiches and was better. We got home at about 10 and went to sleep, but I woke up wide awake at 1am and stayed awake for 2 hours because I couldn't sleep.
This morning we had to be at the funeral home by 9:30am. Lily and I aren't used to having to get up so early! We got there and basically stayed in the lounge area trying to keep Lily occupied. When it was time to go in for the service Lily was being a complete monster. Adam had to take her out basically right when the service started. I'd like to thank Aaron, Vanessa and Eric for moving to come sit by me after Adam had to leave the room with Lily. The pastor didn't know Grams but he got together with some of my family yesterday to hear stories about her. He put together a really beautiful speech that both involved Halloween and also how Grams loved to bake, sew, knit, crochet and be with her family. We had found a poem in a box of Grandma's most treasured possesions and Steve went to the front to read it. It's actually a poem that my choir teacher once put to music and we sang for a concert in the 6th grade. The Poem is here and this copy is actually in Grandma's handwritting which made it very special. After the ceremony we got to pay our last respects and all the grandchilden and great-grandchilden could give rose to Grams. We also gave a family photo that was taken at my wedding renewal (plus a photo of Braeden since he wasn't born yet) to Grams.
Then we proceeded to the Restlawn Cemetary. It was really really cold outside so we were only there for a little bit before making our way to Shooters for a nice meal. We were originally going to have a family reunion right before Christmas with in honor of Grams but since she didn't make it for that Shooter's just moved all our plans to today.
The meal was much nicer because it was a more happier time of day. All the children had fun playing together and running around finding pumpkins and goards. My friends manned the cameras and took a really big family photo of everyone there. (hopefully someone has a shot with less glare on the kids)
The rest of today we just spend hanging out with family at my parents house. It was nice to all be together but sad because Grams can no longer be here. I'm going to miss her so much.

Comments: Post a Comment

[Top]